Friday 15 June 2012

back to the muddy stuff

Switched back to some off roading for a couple for weeks before the trip just to break up the training a bit and keep my interested but I admit how much I've forgotten about offl roading.
I've booked in a mtb event for the weekend so I went out for a scouting trip yesterday to check out the course and see what I'd let myself in for.
Took a 9 mile ride to get there and then carried out 20 miles of the 25 mile course before taking the 9 mile ride back home. Absolutely shattered when I got home.....
The hills are brutal, not only because of the steepness of the incline but the surface isn't exactly consistent or stable. Need to keep all your body weight over the front end to keep the front wheel on the track! The downhills are either fast and loose with a danger of loosing the front end or single track where a bounce of the front will have you in the hedge. Tree roots prevent any traction, flooded sections of track, rain worn gullies filled with sand and mud enough to stop your bike in full flight are other obstacles to overcome. 24 hours later and my arms and legs are still numb from the nettle stings..... but to be honest it's been the best days cycling I've had in a while.
Looking forward to the event tomorrow but a sub 3 hour time for 25 miles is optimistic....

No comments:

Post a Comment